Thursday, April 10, 2008

Introduction - Me and My Blog

Although this is a new blog, I am not at all new to blogging. I have accounts with LiveJournal, Xanga, FaceBook, MySpace ... you name the networking site, I most likely have an account with them. I'm also a member of numerous forums and I was even on volunteer staff for a forum for a while. Now I hardly ever read, must less post, on any forums. Other than my AIM screenname and a little bit of writing I've submitted to another website, this is the first time I've started an account like this without using my own first name as my user name ... or at least part of my user name. This is the first time I plan to be almost completely anonymous.

I do think I will eventually invite some friends and family to this website and ask them to not use my real name when commenting here. I'm not sure how to articulate why I want to be anonymous with this site when it really doesn't matter on other websites. So for now, I won't even try. I just ask you to respect that wish.

About Me

While I plan to remain anonymous, I imagine that along the way, I'll share some of my background in order to show where I am coming from and to put my biases for all to see. As you can tell by this blog's title and how I sign my name here, I am a liberal and while I am liberal on many issues, I do not blindly follow any party line or political persuasion. A little more background: I am 26, female, white, middle class (perhaps upper-middle) from a southern state and I have a BA in psychology. I've lived abroad, I have a politically diverse family and, although young, I have a wide range of work experiences. I may share more specific information later but that's it about me for now.

About the Blog

If I already have so many ways to connect to friends and family, why start this blog? Well, the other ways I connect are much more personal. I plan to use this blog to discuss politics, current events, charitable opportunities, and society (yes, that probably will include pop culture). I anticipate posting a lot of links to stories I find interesting and worthy of discussion. Sometimes, I will simply have links without any commentary from me; just to use this as a place to help me organize and share these links. If discussion follows in the comments, great. I'm sure other times I will include my own thoughts on linked stories in the body of my entry. Along the same lines of sharing links, I hope to eventually have one master entry that has the homepage links to a lot of the specific links I share. In particular, I'd like to organize a listing of charitable organizations and outreach opportunities.

That's how I see this all shaping out. We'll see though. Those that know me know that I may start out strong on things like this but then I start to only post every 4 months or something.


Edited to Add: If you stumble upon this site and would like to discuss anything I've brought up (or anything I haven't), I'd love to talk with you about it in the comments. I'd also be happy to post links that you find interesting. I doubt I'd turn links away but I will reserve the right to not publish a link.

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.

blogger templates